What’s up, makeup magicians? Time to zoom in on the beauty trend that’s having a moment: Gyaru makeup. Nope, not the uber-intense ’90s Gyaru vibe. We’re talking the 2023 remix: a streamlined, subtler stunner that’s got Japan’s beauty buffs buzzing. This new Gyaru aesthetic is all about balance and emphasis – and we’ve got the down-low on how you can master it.
So, if you’ve been hunting for a fresh, trendy look that emphasizes your best features without going overboard, you’re in for a treat. Today, we’re walking you through the hottest ‘Reiwa Gyaru’ makeup trend, also known as ‘Shiro Gyaru’— a chic style that’s all about making an impact with less!
ABCs of the New Gyaru Makeup
Alright, ladies, pencils at the ready! Before we dive into our makeup bags and start the transformation into the new Gyaru divas, let’s chalk out the cardinal rules of this captivating trend. From highlighting the right features to picking the perfect shades, these guiding principles will ensure you master the art of subtractive Gyaru makeup. So, let’s hop on this beauty train:
- Cherish Your Natural Skin: The new Gyaru trend encourages natural beauty, emphasizing your skin’s inherent glow. It’s not about masking your skin, but rather enhancing its natural appeal.
- Accentuate the Eyes: The rounder, droopy eyes are always the star of a Gyaru show. It creates an endearing, youthful look central to the Gyaru aesthetic.
- No More Raccoon Eyes: Compared with the previous Gyaru style, the new Gyaru makeup ditches the old trend of lining your entire eye. Instead of raccoon eyes, the modern Gyaru focuses on a mid-tone eyeshadow on your lid and tear bag.
- Pout Perfection: A glossy pout adds a touch of glamour without straying from the natural vibe. Even with red lipstick, the key is maintaining a sense of transparency to keep things light and fresh.
Understanding these principles isn’t just about following rules. It’s about appreciating the new era of Gyaru makeup, which focuses on embracing and subtly enhancing your natural beauty. Ready to glow? Let’s do this!
Step-by-Step Gyaru Makeup Tutorial
Now that we’ve taken a peek into the captivating world of the upgraded Gyaru trend, it’s time to roll up our sleeves and dive right into the action. Don’t worry. We won’t leave you hanging! We’re about to spill the beans on the step-by-step process to achieve the perfect subtractive Gyaru makeup look.
Step 1: The Base
Aim for a clean, matte base for your makeup, and let your later highlighter application handle the glow.
First things first: apply sunscreen, followed by your foundation. Dab your foundation onto your face and then gently blend it out with a damp beauty blender. Don’t smear or rub; just gently dab and press.
Afterward, add concealer or more foundation onto any pimples or blemishes, concentrating on the area and blending out the edges.
Finally, lightly press the setting powder into your skin with a powder puff, concentrating on oil-prone areas like the nose, forehead, and chin. That will make sure your look stays locked and loaded!
Step 2: Eyebrows
The new Gyaru makeup style favors natural thickness and straight eyebrows. To achieve this, keep the start of your brow as low as possible and connect it to your brow arch. This skill keeps your brows from drooping.
If your natural brow color is light, fill them in with a mix of black and brown eyeshadow after you’ve outlined your brows to give them a richer look. And remember, a bit of a wild hair flow feel, especially at the start of the brow, brings some of that essential Gyaru ‘spice’ to your look!
Step 3: Contouring
A less defined nose might be due to a lack of definition between the nasal bridge and the sides of the nose. A contouring game can fix that. Apply shadow in the triangular area between your nose and the inner corners of your eyes to naturally enhance your nose’s shape.
Finally, bring in your highlighter palette and add some light to the nasal bridge of your nose, the tip of your nose, and your chin. Bam! You’ve got a sculpted face ready to shine!
Step 4: Eye Makeup
Gyaru eye makeup is the magic of this style! You can use it for everyday looks and party bests.
Start with an eyeshadow darker than your skin tone and apply it broadly on your upper and lower eyelids.
Then blend a slightly reddish eyeshadow within your eyelid crease or, if you have monolids, apply where you can see about 3mm~5mm when your eyes are open.
After that, dab some liquid eyeshadow in the middle of your upper eyelid and at the tear bag area.
Next up are the flicked cat-eye liner and thick, curled, long lashes — the essence of the Gyaru eye makeup!
For sharp and clear eyeliner, our makeup artist Qi suggests going with a liquid eyeliner pen. Draw an upward line from the outer corner of your eye while looking straight into the mirror. Then work back to create a triangle and fill in any blank spaces.
Finally, it’s mascara time. Our makeup artist Qi highly recommends you use an electric-eye lengthening mascara to echo the Gyaru charm! Start near the roots and use a “Z” technique for added thickness. Use an “I” technique for added length as you reach the tips. And voilà! You’ve got dazzling elongated lashes!
Step 5: Blush
To find where you should dab your soft brush or puff on, flash a smile at yourself in the mirror and locate the plumpest part of your cheeks. Apply the blush just above this point, and you’re good to go!
Be careful. If your blush is too low, it can make your face droopy. Applying it above your apples gives an excellent lift and tightens up your entire cheek area.
Step 6: Lipstick
The Gyaru lipstick makeup uses a bitten lip method, starting on the inside of your lips.
Use your finger to blend the lipstick outward, fading from deeper on the inside to lighter on the outside (feel free to use a lip brush or Q-tip if you prefer!).
After blending, make any final adjustments by deepening the inner lip color and adjusting the shade intensity at the edges.
If you accidentally spread too wide, no worries! Just dab on some concealer to cover up the lipstick, keeping in mind the bitten lip style is all about a deeper color on the inside.
There you have it! You’re now a modern Gyaru makeup whiz. Keep practicing these steps, and soon you’ll turn heads left and right! Remember, makeup is a form of self-expression, so feel free to add your own twist to the Gyaru style. Who knows? Maybe you will be the next Gyaru fashion influencer!
Recommeded Makeup Products at Amazon
Final Thoughts and Tips
To wrap up this Gyaru makeup tutorial, let’s take a moment to emphasize a few essential tips and tricks. Because, let’s be real, no makeup tutorial would be complete without some insider knowledge, right?
- Practice Makes Perfect: Don’t get discouraged if you don’t nail it on your first try. Makeup is an art; like all art forms, it takes time and practice. Keep at it, and before you know it, you’ll be a Gyaru goddess!
- Take Care of Your Skin: Let’s face it, even the best foundation can’t hide a neglected complexion. Look after your skin, and it will love you back. Plus, think of all the gorgeous selfies you’ll snap with your radiant, healthy skin. #NoFilterNeeded!
- Good Lighting is Key: Lighting is no joke, girl. It’s the difference between “Yas Queen!” and “Oops…”. When you’re glamming up Gyaru style, good lighting is a must. Get near a window or invest in a good makeup light, and let your beauty shine.
- Gyaru Vibes Only: Lastly, confidence is your most powerful accessory. You’re a Gyaru goddess, and don’t you ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Show off your style, flash that dazzling smile, and remember, there’s no one else like you, and that’s your superpower.
There you have it, folks! A comprehensive guide on the new Gyaru makeup that is sure to have you serving looks in no time. Now go forth and slay, you fabulous, makeup-loving divas!
Keep it “Gyaru.” Keep it stylish!
If you want to learn more about Japanese fashion, welcome to our “Japanese Fashion” channel. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or ideas~ We are always here to exchange brilliant thoughts!